Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Great and Terrible Beauty...

was anything but terrible. This book is captivating. It sweeps you off your feet and transports you to a time where, for girls, modesty ruled and scandal followed every little move. Gemma Doyle, the heroine, is thrust into a magical world where the line between reality and make believe become blurred. She discovers this world after being sent to an all-girls school per her late mother's request. It is at this school that she learns who she truly is and what she may become.

I absolutely loved this book. This is the first in a series, and it is the kind of book that made me want to curl up under the covers and escape into this 19th century world. I think what I enjoyed most was the element of forbidden romance. She develops, not by choice, a releationship with an Indian boy who is not from her social class. This dynamic really makes the book surge with romantic energy. I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment